We are a Christian community in the Episcopal faith tradition. We believe that God loves each one of us, wants to be in relationship with us, and calls us to serve others. We are a small, but mighty community with diverse church backgrounds that worships, serves, and learns together to grow our faith. Our congregants are from Westford, Chelmsford, Groton, Littleton, Lowell, and beyond. At St. Mark’s we strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being.
All are welcome to join us in opportunities for spiritual growth, community service, pastoral care, and fellowship.
On February 13, 1895, a meeting was held in the Forge Village section of Westford to form a "General Committee to Secure Services of the Episcopal Church." For the next eight years, under the encouragement and direction of our mother church, St. Andrew's in Ayer, services were held in a recreation hall owned by the Abbot Worsted Company.
In 1898, the Parish of Ayer, Groton, Groton School and Forge Village was formed under the leadership of Dr. Endicott Peabody, founder and headmaster of the Groton School. Following construction of a building to house the 'mission church' that would become St. Mark's, and over the next several decades, the church moved from oversight by the Groton School headmasters to its own full-time rectorship. In late 1960, the question was raised by the united parish of a separate church, to be located in Forge Village. On April 25, 1961 - the Feast of St. Mark - St. Mark's Mission of the Diocese of Massachusetts was established.
With new facilites needed, the diocese purchased five acres of land at the corner of Cold Spring and Graniteville Roads, and, in 1963, ground was broken for the new church. On December 15, 1964 our present church and parish hall were dedicated.